Monday, June 9, 2008

Stonehenge

My titles are getting increasingly less creative. One of these days when I feel on top of my to-do's and must-see's I'll spend a bit more time making these posts interesting. Until then I'm just going to pat myself on the back for getting something down to jog my memory when I get back to P-Town and the real story telling begins.

Our last stop of the weekend was Stonehenge and I must say it was a bit anticlimactic. My nose was buried in Paradise Lost while we drove up and I happened to look out my window as we passed the megalithic mystery. The stones were smaller than I had anticipated and the fact that they were roped off was a bit of a bummer. I wanted to scale one barefooted. All that aside, however, I thought it was incredible to be there, in front of one of the most famous archaeological artifacts on the planet.

Megalithic.

We ventured over and took some classic touristy pictures then meandered around the ancient stones. I was equally as enthralled with the vast undulating English countryside as I was by the precariously perched prehistoric rocks. How can it all be so smooth and so green?

One of my favorite parts of the afternoon? Playing Missionary Tag on the green next to the ruins. We were like little paired stonehenges running about. I felt so stonehengey. Only I move more. And don't weigh as much.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

Hello Paige. I went to stonehedge senior year. I, too, was a smidge disapointed. After all, it is just a pile of big rocks. But I guess along with other cool sites, it's not so much the site, but the history behind them that makes them significant. Anyways, I think I'm going to start reading your blog. Sam seems to like it a lot.

By the way, have you became a famous artist yet? Because I still have that portrait you made and would like to make some money off of it.

hosander said...

I read that some tourists recently took a chunk out of one of the stones - that's probably why we obey the ropes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...