Monday, October 27, 2008

Settled

My mind had been at war for several days. Normalcy became maintaining sanity and preserving what little sense I felt I had left. But something changed.

And I've felt peace.

It was after reading through my favorite parts of this that I was lead to a series of references that not only spoke to my mind, but helped to calm my disquieted heart. In his address, he instructed us to substitute the phrase, "enabling and strengthening power" for the word "grace" when we came across the word in our scripture study. I took this advice and applied it to one of my favorite sections of scripture. With the slight alteration, it reads:
"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
By whom also we have access by faith into this enabling and strengthening power wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
And patience, experience; and experience hope:
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us."
A few parts struck me. Firstly, that it is through Christ that we are able to stand. It feels like lately I have been mentally, emotionally and spiritually weak; unable to stand. But through the enabling and strengthening power I can. And I can do it in an attitude of rejoicing and hope.

While I was sitting on the front pew Sunday morning, the words floated from the pulpit and penetrated my uneasy self. I realized that I was not alone--not in a spiritual sense, nor a physical one--but that I have guidance always and people always. People who are, in many senses, instruments in the hand of God to bring me closer to Him. This brought me comfort. My mind recalled a few verses that put the last few weeks in perspective, that opened my eyes to the whys and held me in a place of understanding.

It's always surprising to me how many times we have to be reminded of the Lord's unfailing love for us, and that because of His love, no doors are left unopened. Stumbling blocks may get in our way, but using these as stepping stones to higher ground, I know that with faith I can be strengthened, and I can be safe, and I can give love unfeigned. Because that's what I believe in.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...