Monday, March 2, 2009

Just

I'm convinced it's Spring. The calendar and maybe the forecast wants you to think otherwise, but Spring is just as much an inside thing as it is an outside. Spring, to use the brilliance of cummings, is "everything/which is natural which is infinite which is yes." Today it is Spring because my days don't seem quite so dark. Because the world is full of little sprouting yeses and budding truths. It is alive again. There is something about Spring that e.e. cummings understands.

in Just
by e.e. cummings
in Just-
spring when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles far and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
spring
and

the

goat-footed

balloonMan whistles
far
and
wee

as a note: one of the most beautiful things about cummings is how he arranges words on the page. Blogger hasn't figured out how to let us be equally as beautiful yet (which is why there are a few poems I've written that I haven't posted even though I've been asked to). But I couldn't pass up posting this one. It's been in my head all day. However, if you really want the full experience, you just need to see it on the printed page.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love that poem. And you're totally right, the way it looks on the page adds a lot more meaning. Happy SPRING!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...