Sunday, August 16, 2009

Havasu

It's been non-stop since we got home. But that's typical for us. We're a back-to-back sort of couple; one thing after the next--bang! bang! bang! bang! bang!--and then we take a long nap.

We got in from the airport after 10 pm and less than 12 hours later we were on the road headed to Havasupai for a backpacking trip with my family.

We slept in the parking lot that night and then rose at 3:30am to begin our descent into the canyon. The morning was beautiful.


Mikey and I were stunned by how different the landscape was. I remember being equally as impressed by the thick trees and lush wetlands that surround the DC area. The landscape that I used to take for granted became new again. And I was caught up, breathless at times, in its beauty. There is something magical in watching the sun rise above the canyon walls and feeling your smallness as the imposing rocks around you protect from the heat. It's a different sort of smallness than you get by being surrounded by buildings that are 80-stories high.

I feel like this is how God wants us to feel sometimes. Small, so we remember how much we need him, and how much he does for us.



The few days we spent camping were filled with games, conversation, naps, hikes and laughter. There were moments of pure bliss, of realizing God's majesty, of relishing in the fact that I have family all around me. It's been so long since I could hold them close. And I realized how much I've missed it.

3 comments:

Alyssa and Tyler said...

Havusupi (SP?) is so much fun! Looking at your pictures makes me want to plan a trip for Tyler and myself. Are you back in provo now?

madamelinae said...

i wish i could have been there with you. the trip simply looks amazing. just know that i am always thinking of you. you should seriously come visit me. seems like you have about 3 years for that now. :)
love and miss you as much as i ever could.

Anonymous said...

i bet you had so much fun, paigey!
but seriously: will grows way too fast.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...