Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A new normal

This little one is two months old. I can hardly believe it. How could she already be 11 pounds and nearly 24 inches long?! The time sped by without me noticing the days passing. But while it's seems like only days ago that we met in the hospital room, at the same time I can't remember life without her. (Not very well at least). Haven't I always been her mama?


I'm asked quite often by friends if it's weird being a mom. My answer is always the same: Not weird.

Natural.  

Being a mom--as in, the act of mothering--has come very naturally for me. There's something sweet about knowing that Ada needs me. Knowing she needs me makes me need her. But it is weird that I have a child. When I step back and look at my life, it's strangely wonderful, and strangely strange all at once. It sounds funny, but it's almost odd to think of her as my daughter. She's my baby and I'm her mama. These terms seem so much less serious and big than MOTHER and DAUGHTER. Although, I'm sure we'll grow into serious and big terms soon enough.

I'm also asked if things have "returned to normal" yet. I can confidently say, "Yes they have. A new normal, that is." And I'm liking my new normal more and more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...