Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The last morning of May

She wakes up hungry every morning around 6. I love feeding her. By that hour I feel rested and able to stay awake as I watch her eat and stroke her cheek. The sun was streaming through the trees and blinds and casting dancing shadows on the bed as she ate.

Sometimes after this quiet morning nursing session, I'll put her back in her crib while she sleeps for a little while longer--but often she'll wake up after only thirty minutes or so. She likes to spend the last few hours of sleep in my bed. And I like that too. So this morning I didn't even try to walk across the hall and lay her down. Rather, I tucked her little body close to mine listened to her breathe and laugh in her sleep.

A few days ago, while commenting on this sleeping-in-our-bed habit, Mikey said, "I just don't want her to be one of those 5-year-olds who has to sleep with their parents." I gently reminded him, "She's just 3 1/2 months, dear."

But I'm afraid that in three and a half more blinks of the eye she will suddenly be a 5-year-old. And we'll be far away from Utah mountains and family dinners. And I'll long for the few short weeks we spent sleeping in grandma's bed and watching the sun stream in the room.

1 comment:

Caitlin Carroll said...

My almost 2-yr-old sleeps part of the night in our bed, and I love it so much. It's so cozy having him nestled up close, sleeping his sweet baby scent. I'd probably be OK with doing it when he's 5 even, because then the next moment he'll be 15 and think his parents are the biggest weirdos ever. Better to enjoy those moments while you can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...