Wednesday, September 28, 2011

To get out of an art-rut


It seems unthinkable to be in an "art-rut" while living in such a beautiful place. Maybe it's because there are so many beautiful things I can't look at one thing long enough to capture it. Or maybe it's because I haven't really painted since last December (can that really be true?!!!). Or maybe I just feel paralyzed.

I tried sketching a bit last week. I played around with some watercolors too. I didn't make anything beautiful, I just remembered what it felt like to let my mind go and feel the paper under the tip of my brush. I liked that feeling. I liked looking at the dark pencil lead drag across the page. I liked making circles and feeling my fingers, then hand, then arm loosen up. It felt something like waking up in the morning.


But that was days ago and I haven't gotten anything out since. Other than my camera. I know that to get out of a rut, I just have to make stuff. I need to sit down for an hour or more and collage or sketch or paint. Everyday. Or better, during every nap.

Today Ada and I visited the Basilica of San Domenico. I didn't take the stroller or the diaper bag. I left the house with 3 Euros, my keys, and a pacifier. Ada was in the Baby Bjorn. It's the most freedom I've felt in a while.

The basilica is literally steps from our apartment (I hear the bells everyday). I've walked past it literally dozens of times in the last few weeks, but never once have I peeked inside.

I was so glad today. I felt inspired. I felt like sketching (!!!) even though I didn't have my sketch book with me (next time. . . ). The patterns overwhelmed me. I wanted to record each one and paint them later. I wanted to sketch from the statues and paintings. It was exciting.

We spent some time in the Piazza San Domenico afterwards. It's beautiful, open, clean, and full of pigeons, benches and old ladies. A perfect place to sketch while Ada snoozes in her stroller. (Am I just dreaming? Can this happen, please?)

I'm going to do it. Tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rampaw said...

I don't know if you noticed, but there was a row of flying saucers following you.

Anne said...

Ahhhhhhh. I love this. And you. And Ada. And Mike.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...