Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bread and TED

Mikey and I finished Friday Night Lights while we were in Germany. He seemed to be relieved? seemingly freed? that it was over. I was sad. Pathetic and true. Don't judge.

Now that we're back in the swing of things with school and routines, we knew we needed to find something structured to do together once Ada is asleep (otherwise, our evenings turn into long sessions of "parallel play" that is as unsatisfactory as it is social). Neither of us really wanted to jump into another TV series. We feel like we need a TV fast. Those 40 minute a day, I'll tell ya . . .

We've started baking bread together. Why? Because Mike has shown an interest in baking a total of one thing with me: bread. So I'm taking him up on it and hoping it will be the beginning of many culinary adventures together.

He told me, "I want it to be my thing. Like, 'Hey Dad! Will you make us some wheat bread!?'" (A man can hope, right? I grew up asking my dad to make Chocolate Chip Cookies which are only slightly more tasty than wheat bread.)

Bread baking comes with a lot of waiting. So last night we listened to TED Talks and talk about interesting ideas. And then we found some Italian newspapers that are going to become part of our nightly language study. Oh and we ate our first loaf. I give it a B-. But this morning's was a solid B. That's marked improvement.

The TED Talk we listened to yesterday got my mind whirring about art again. I'll blog about it tomorrow. Naps only last so long and painting is waaaay easier sans baby.

2 comments:

Anna Peterson said...

What is it with guys and bread? Really, I love it though. Dave about a year or so ago got really into making bread. He doesn't do it as much anymore because of his schedule, but he made some pretty great loaves. When we're at hopkins we can make some bread together. :)

Jenny said...

Paige, I always you can feel like I can relate to your blog--but this one is just crazy! Literally last Saturday Kyle was baking bread while we watched Friday Night Lights AND TED talks. I just wish we had done this while in Europe....

Kyle has also has said something along the lines of "I want bread to be my thing with the kids."

Too funny.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...