Saturday, December 15, 2007

Gloria!

The Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert is first rate. I went up with my family tonight and had a wonderful time being fed musically, spiritually, emotionally, visually. . . It was definitely a diverse feast. It was the first time in a long time that I've actually given a standing ovation, not out of obligation and peer-pressure from the surrounding, stand-happy, concert-goers, but out of sincere appreciation and love for the work that was displayed.

Some of the numbers stunned me by their complicated technicality, and others by their sheer beauty and invitation of the spirit. Some numbers amused me, and some merely touched me. It was a wonderful collaboration of sorts, a celebration, an ascension of glorias to an Infant King.

It also made me miss my violin. I still love to play, but time is always short - always! How does it become so? But I'm hoping that over Christmas I'll be able to sit down and enjoy a few hours of stringed pleasures. Playing makes me think of so many great memories that have been had with that little wooden instrument in my hands. It has brought me such a mixture of frustrations and joy, sometimes I don't know what to think about it. But on nights like tonight I miss being able to walk downstairs, pull it out, and run my fingers up and down the ebony fingerboard, and let the rosined bow slide with solidity across the vibrating strings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...