Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thoughts

Thoughts I had while brushing my teeth, washing my face, and taking out my contacts:
  1. Bellybuttons. They are so weird. Unique. Do doctors know the sorts of social havoc they can wreak on people whose bellybuttons they botch?
  2. What am I going to write my personal narrative on? I know it's going to be something about Germany. Phrases were going through my head that sound pretty. An immense discovery is pounding in my head, reaffirming itself with every sliding, joyous step. How could it all be so green? It made me feel as though I too would soon sprouting. He has the girth of a soda straw. Perhaps the world needs more silence, you know; sounding silence, soliloquies and laughter. A silent symphony. . .
  3. I fill silence. Constantly. Whether the silence is audible or if it's just noise in my head, I always have some wandering thought to occupy the empty space.
  4. Can a college student over sleep? One of my roommates wandered in asking how she could be tired after 11 hours of sleep. (11 hours?! Is it possible? What did I do with my 11 hours? How many pages did I read? How many drawings did I finish? How many laughs did I have?) It made my mind jump to words of advice from my mother saying "You need the hours before midnight to feel rested." I remember taking this advice with a skeptically raised eyebrow. How does my body know what time it is? If I'm always going to sleep at 2 and waking up at 10 How does it know that midnight isn't 5am? I've always thought that 8 hours is 8 hours is 8 hours. Am I wrong? If my body has a core clock, then I'm seriously denying it the "before midnight hours."
When I finished brushing and put the toothpaste on the shelf it was 12:24 am. Sorry sleepy body.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...