Saturday, September 27, 2008

House

I am a house. Houses are always changing. At times they are imposed upon from the inside; forces come in to rebuild me from the inside out and at first I understand what they're doing. They're busy at work unclogging drains, fixing leaks, refinishing floors . . . But then the repairs start to hurt as they knock out a wall or drill a few holes to hang a light and I begin to wonder what they're up to. What I fail to realize in those moments is that the Lord has a different end goal in mind. His perspective of what I can be far exceeds my own expectations for myself. He's not content letting my home remain a decent little cottage. No, He's building a palace, even one fit for Him to come and live in. So I go on living amidst the anomalies, inconveniences, hopes, faith, and excitement of being a house that's getting rebuilt over and over again. Renovations seem routine.

Other modifications originate from the outside. The elements erode away the shine to keep the house humble until the inside is glorified. Although many transformations are the result of external influences, most variations of my emotions and opinions (which in most cases lead to action) are consequences of my own internal struggles as I learn to let the forces within my walls change me.

Dealing with the pain of change comes along with the growth as I feel the Lord throw up another wing here and add on another floor there. He builds towers and courtyards, gardens and ballrooms. Sometimes witnessing the change is as painfully beautiful as experiencing it.

To sit and ponder how the atonement is changing me and couple that with the influences of such exquisite people around me is astounding.

I am a house. I breakdown, and need constant rebuilding.

I am a house. At times I am imposed upon from the inside; other modifications orginiate from the outside. Although many transformations are the result of external influences, most variations of my emotions and opinions are consequences of my own internal struggles as I learn to let the forces within my walls change me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...