Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cinnamon Peach Chili

The name, I think, is slightly misleading. However, the end result = summer in your mouth. We went to the Provo Farmer's Market last Saturday (one of my favorite things to do during the Summer months and into the Fall) and bought veggies to pair with the vegetables aplenty we've been putting to good use from neighborhood gardens. And when I say aplenty, I mean, I made 8 loaves of Zucchini bread last week (that equals twelve cups of shredded Zucchini) and I still had half of a monster Zucchini in my fridge.

But what better way to use (and eat) all these veggies than to chop them up, simmer them down, and feast on the spoils of Summer? 

We adapted a recipe I found here and we gave it three cheers.

Cinnamon Peach Vegetarian Chili
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans (be careful opening the cans. I sliced open my knuckle. I still can't figure out how)
4 potatoes chopped in .5" cubes
4 zucchini and/or yellow squash cut in .25" thick slices
4 tomatoes chopped
3 ears of sweet corn - kernels cut off the cob
2 medium onions
2 peaches - depitted and cut in cubes
3-4 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt to taste
 Dump all of your beans, juice and all, in a large chili pot. Add your vegetables and seasoning. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat to the lowest setting possible, cover and let simmer for 2 hours. Stir every 15-30 minutes or so. If the chili is too watery after it simmers down leave the lid off to let some liquid cook off.

Serve over cooked brown rice and top with plain greek yogurt (an excellent sour cream alternative) or goat cheese crumbles. Honey cornbread muffins are a must - I used this recipe.

1 comment:

La Penseuse Viable said...

haha i also just posted a recipe! how domestic of us. maybe i should get pregnant, too. jk.

ps. i'm really going to make this. it looks delightful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...