Friday, October 9, 2009

Sue

Dear Sue Marie,

There are a few things I never got to tell you before you passed away, but I thought you ought to know. I remember the first time I met you. People had warned me of your forward nature, your rapid-fire questions, but I wasn't intimidated. I felt like I was instantly pulled in to your person. You leaned close to my face as we spoke and you called me a, "delightful human being." I'll always remember that.

I thought I liked you then, but I had no idea how much love I would feel for you after Mikey and I drove out to your house to tell you about our engagement. You kept commenting on my ring, referring to it as, "that headlight on your finger." It made me smile.

You are a lot like the Boss in the insatiable desire you have for "the story." Mikey and I sat down and gave you ours from top to bottom. I started my half of the story back in February the previous year when I got dumped. You stopped me right there and said how much you loved my honesty. It didn't seem like a big deal to me then. I got dumped. The one time in my life, and it took me a surprisingly long time to get over it, but I was head over heels for someone now. In any case you were delighted.

After we gave you our story you asked us this question, "In life, what is true?" I'll never forget that. We answered in a seemingly "Sunday School" fashion and said that the gospel is true, or the Plan of Salvation is true. You nodded in agreement but you said, "Do you know what is true? Love." You told us how you hadn't seen your love for nearly forty-six years, but you knew as much that day as you ever did that you loved him, and he loved you, and that love was binding. You taught us so much that night. I'll treasure it for a long time. When we left I remember getting in the car, looking at Mikey and saying, "I love her!"

I still do Sue Marie. I love you. And I can't wait to see you again soon.

Love,
Paigey

2 comments:

hanna anderson said...

Paige its all your fault ! I was doing fine and I hadn't cried in awhile and right then you just blew it! Anyways that is a awesome story ! I know how pleased she was to have you in our family !

Fancy Nancy said...

What a sweet tribute. She was so happy about the union of you two--so are we!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...