Thursday, January 10, 2008

Space

I was thinking today about how environmentally friendly blogging is. Although I don't get the full pleasure of writing like I do when I labor over my journal pages, the ease of blogging coupled with the rainforests I'm saving by recording digitally makes the whole experience that much better. So I grabbed my journals from the past 5 years (the ones I have with me at the dorms) and did a space comparison. Mr. Apple definitely has them beat. Is cyber space really space at all? How does memory "fill up?" Is information tangible on a microscopic scale?

It startles me at times how much I have to say and how prolifically I write. I wonder if my kids will just flip through my journals when I die and say "Whoa. What now?" What will they do with them? Odds are, they'll be turned into some digital file anyway and everyone can get a copy on a CD. No, CDs will be way out dated. They'll be inserted into the drive in their neck for physical digital storage. Then they can read Granny's ramblings wherever and whenever. Hmmm.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...