Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Light

I have so many thoughts surrounding the piece I want to make for the invitation a group of us got to participate in the Education in Zion exhibit. I was so excited to find out about the proposal to get student work for the exhibition space at the base of the central spiral stair case.


The building itself was constructed with the theme of “light and truth.” The glass-enclosed gallery, a beautiful, light-drenched space, is designed to house a series of exhibits that will expand on the educational experiences offered in the building. (BYU Today, Fall 2005). Our work is going off of the ideas surrounding light and truth as well, and as a result I have been studying passages in the scriptures (especially these beautiful words) that talk about light or truth, "which truth shineth."

I love that light cannot be contained, that it fills the immensity of space, that it is matter, is spirit. Inspiration is light, for, "...In thy light, shall we see light."

Initially I was stuck as I began working on this project, but I have found that inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. Inspiration often comes and asks you, "are you too content with yourself and how you see the world?" It makes you itch.

However.

These itches spur growth, eternal growth, growth that I believe to by cyclical. Just like Christ who rose with his scars that showed the greatness he overcame, when I picture the resurrection, I see us with the scars of our striving.

Last night I caught a glimpse of sunset. The fading light, the wide expanse of mountains blurring into the sky, overwhelmed me into the eternal. And I thought of light.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...