Monday, June 20, 2011

So many are under your wings

Done For Their Fathers, oil and acrylic on panel, 31" x 23 1/2"
As you well know, yesterday was Father's Day. It was an emotional one for me.

I'm sure I've said it before, but truly one of the best parts of becoming a mother was watching Mike take on his role as Father. When I hand the baby off to him so I can get a few things done, it's hard to not stay and watch the two of the them together. It's one of my greatest joys.

first Father's Day
 My own dad was across the Atlantic Ocean on his big day, and I missed him. I wanted to wrap my arms around his neck and tell him that I love him. Consider this a cyber hug, Dad.
 
I wrote another letter to Ada last night, telling her about her father, one of her grandfathers, and one of her great-grandfathers. I told her how much the three of them have impacted me, and why she is set up for greatness because she descends from them. The last paragraph of that letter went like this:
I love you, little one. Today as we kissed great-grandpa goodbye for the night he said to you, “It’s your turn!” and put his arms out like he was releasing a bird to fly for the first time. I don’t think I’ll ever forget that image. It was as if he was saying, my time is done, now you go on, you fly. And you will fly, my love. You’ll fly because so many are underneath your wings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...